Most sites use Push to notify their visitors of new content, news, subscriptions to various events and social networks. Recently, notifications appear on 70% of visited resources, as this allows the owners of such projects to attract an additional audience on the Internet.
But not everyone likes these notifications, and often they are annoying, for example, when they were not connected at all or activated by accident.
Also, the abundance of news from the project you subscribed to is boring, so in the end there is a desire to still disable push, delete them and forget about it at all. And here is the problem.
Not many people know how to turn off notifications in chrome. The problem is solved in several ways, so we described them all.
Since we have a universal article, we described the option to turn off Google Chrome notifications for both desktop versions of computers and mobile devices based on Android and iOS.
Method 1: Turn off notifications when prompted
As soon as you visit the resource where the pop-up notification option is activated, the screen will ask if you want to allow notifications to be displayed or not? You need to Deny. Just keep in mind that locking only works for a specific resource. If you need to block the display of all hits, no matter which site you visit, go to the next paragraph of this material.
Do not confuse Google Chrome push notifications with alerts from Windows services. Just, for example, in the same Windows 10 in the lower right corner there is its own convenient system with messages and notifications, which sends the user different alerts when the hard drive is full or viruses are found. This service has its own separate setting, which you can read about in a separate article.
Method 2: Disconnect through browser settings
In Google Chrome, the setting can be done both for a specific site and for all the resources visited, so here you already choose which parameters to change.
Block notifications for a specific site
- In the upper right corner of the Chrome browser, click the icon with three dots, as shown in the screenshot
- Click on Settings
- Find the Privacy and Security tab, click Site Settings
- Next, click the Notifications section.
- Before you, in the Block section, a complete list of sites for which notifications are prohibited will be presented
- Is the URL from which you want to block push missing? Then click the Add button, and then specify the address of the resource, just be sure to register port 443 with it, as shown in the screenshot above in our example
Detailed setup for the site
When you want to block only notifications with pop-ups, it is enough to follow these steps:
- In the list of sites that are in Block, click on the selected page address
- You get into the section where all permissions for the site will be configured in detail. Here, find the Pop-ups and Forwarding tab, select Block next to it
- From this moment, all pop-ups for this resource are automatically blocked, however, you will receive notifications when you need to connect to a web-camera, microphone, enable or disable sound
Deactivate any notifications
Need to completely disable the option of informing from sites in google chrome? Then the procedure is as follows:
- Go to Browser Settings, as in the previous version
- Find the Notifications section
- Sites may request permissions from the item … set the slider to the Off state, as shown in our screenshot. From now on, all notifications will be blocked in the browser
If you have several devices and you want the notifications in Google Chrome to turn off automatically, no matter what computer you visit the website, log in using your Gmail account in the browser using the settings at the top of the browser panel.
The main advantage of synchronization through an account is that all extensions are downloaded automatically and added to the panel, and the browser settings will be copied to other devices as well.
Method 3: Turn off notifications on an open site
Are you on a resource and need to block pop-ups from it? It is done like this:
- In the address bar, click the lock icon (if the connection is secured via https) or an exclamation mark (if regular http)
- Next, click Site Settings
- You will get to the menu where we already configured the settings. Again, here in the Pop-ups section you need to click the inscription: Block
So you can visit any resource and if by chance you already connected push on it, quickly go to the browser configuration and turn off all notifications or only specific varieties.
Even if you have already closed the site, and the intrusive advertising banners or other notifications from this resource are bothering, disturbing or distracting you, you can simply go to your browser settings, use the search to find the necessary URL in the list of resources and deactivate all notifications or only specific ones. By default, pop-ups are blocked on all resources.
Method 4: Turn off notifications on Android
Google Chrome is also actively distributed on mobile platforms, so notifications can be displayed from a smartphone. Shutdown is carried out as follows:
- Open google chrome on your phone and click on Settings
- Go to the Site Settings section
- Find the Notifications tab and click on it
- Open the Popups section, set the slider to Off
- From now on, all notifications in the browser are disabled, pop-ups will not be displayed
Can’t change the settings? You can restore the default settings in the browser itself by simply deleting it and downloading it again or doing a complete reset to your phone, but this will delete all the information on your smartphone! Just before deleting, make sure that the data in your account is synchronized.
Method 5: Turn off notifications on iOS
A similar situation is with Safari in the iOS operating system, since many users use this application as a web browser. And even Yandex Browser in the mobile version can be configured in the same way.
But, if we talk about Google Chrome in iOS, then sending notifications does not work, because it is not supported by the browser, so you do not have to deactivate annoying notifications.
However, when visiting sites, pop-ups may appear on the right, left, or top, for example, about discounts or news, which can also be turned off if you change the chrome settings:
- Open the chrome on your device and click on the ellipsis icon
- Next, click Settings, (in the English version of Settings) to get to the interface with browser settings
- Scroll through the list until you find the Content Settings section and the Block item in it. pop up window
- Set the switch next to this item to On. From now on, the system will not be able to send you any notifications in the browser, even if the site will offer news feed or other blocks
Restart your browser for the change to take effect. Visit the site that previously sent you notifications and check if the lock works or not.
But advertising banners, by the way, are also often disguised as notifications from sites. As soon as users agree and click on the Subscribe button, links to malicious portals disguised as news and other materials may be displayed. And if you click on such an alert, most likely, several tabs will open at once on sites with viruses, the contents of which are often classified as 18+. It can be either small pop-up banners or full-screen ad units (multimedia, text). Be careful when clicking on such links.
Many users have the chrome extension installed to block advertising on the Internet, both from laptops, computers and other devices, but some of them think that you can get rid of newsletters using such an application in a browser. This is a misconception. The blocker hides only banners, but the ability to turn off the distribution of notifications from sites is present only in your browser settings.
And for this, it is not necessary to have administrator rights in Windows 10 or any other operating system, since all actions are performed at the level of user rights. We hope that our step-by-step instructions will help you get rid of too annoying notifications in the browser that are not interesting to you and only interfere with your comfortable work.